LISBON GALLERY (Chiado) Kiki Lima - Solo Painting Exhibition
Kiki Lima (Euclides Eustáquio Lima) was born on April 15th, 1953, in Ponta do Sol, Santo Antão, Cape Verde.
· 1974/75 – frequency of the Drawing and Painting Course of C.E.C. – Lisbon.
· 1984/85 – frequency of the Sculpture Course of the AR.CO – Center of Art and Visual Communication, Lisbon.
· 1985/1990 – degree in Communication Design at the Lisbon University of Fine arts.
He has been painting for more than 40 years (began in 1969) during which he accomplished 87 individual exhibits and participated in more than 160 collective ones in Angola – Luanda; Brazil – S. Paulo; Cape Verde; Cuba; Spain – Barcelona, Valladolide, Vigo; France (Saint Paul of Vince); Holland (Roterdam); Luxembourg (European Parliament); Macau; Portugal (several cities); Switzerland – Geneva; United States – New York and Boston.
Kiki Lima is present in several private and public collections, namely:
In Cape Verde: National Assembly, Palace of the Government, INPS, Bank of Cape Verde, Commercial Bank of Atlantic Ocean – Praia, Cabo Telecom, Several Ministries and other public institutions.
In other countries: EDP, SIEMENS, Portugal Telecom, TRANSGÁS, BAYER, I Support Alves Ribeiro, ICEP – Institute of Portuguese External Trade; Rotterdam City hall, RDP – Portuguese Broadcasting, Montepio Geral – Lisbon; Bank of Trade and Industry of Luanda, City hall of the Amateur, City hall of Palmela.
Author of the Panel of the frontispiece of the Pavilion of Cape Verde in EXPO’98 – Lisbon, founded the KiTraço – Art Gallery, in Sassoeiros, Portugal, between November of 2001 and July of 2003 and participated in the mural of Lusofonia, headquarters of UCCLA, Lisbon.
Represented in the Cape Verde painters panel in the National Assembly of Cape Verde is also the author of the panel “Reception of Emigrants” in the Amílcar Cabral Airport – Sal, Cape Verde.
Bust in bronze of the Cape Verdean poet, Januário Leite, in the School “Januário Leite” of the Paúl – Santo Antão – Cape Verde.
Trophy “The Public Employee” – ordered by the Portuguese Government (Secretariat for the Administrative Modernization) – 1993.
Trophy Better Agent TACV, 1993.
Commemorative coin of the 20th Anniversary of the Independence of Cape Verde – 1975 -1995 for the Bank of Cape Verde.
Monument to the National Culture, Cultural Center of Mindelo, Cape Verde.
References in Art Publications:
Aspects of the Plastic Arts – Ed. Fernando Infante do Carmo – 1992.
Plastic Arts in Portugal – The artist and his market – Narciso Martins – 1993.
Annual of the Plastic Arts 1997.
· 1992 – Prémio Prestígio AI-UÉ – PAINTING.
· 2000 – awarded by occasion of the 25th Anniversary of the Independence of Cape Verde (05.JUL.2000) with the 1st Class Medal of the Volcano, by the President of Cape Verde, Dr. António Mascarenhas Monteiro, “in recognition for his relevant contribution to the enrichment of the national artistic patrimony, with matters related to the domain of plastic arts.”
· 2002 – Guest of honour to the III Congress of Cape Verdean Pictures, dedicated to the problem of the Third Generations of Cape Verdeans.
· 2002 – Personality 2002 in Plastic arts for the Nucleus of African Students in Portugal, Nucleus of African Students of the Lusófona University and Student Association of the Faculty of Law of the University of Lisbon.
Kiki Lima is recognized by many art critics and specialists as the best Cape Verdean painter ever, and one of the most important contemporary African artists.